Saturday, November 27, 2010

So lucky I am

Just watched Guzaarish few days back. It reminded me of  Mr. R.J (thats what people used to call him there, it never struck me actually to ask him his real name).
It was the sunday morning and clock struck exact 8. My alarm clock rang but I again slept after keeping it at 8:10 , then again at 8:20 and then again at 8:30 till my mom came finally to wake me up. Usually I will wake up by 9 on sunday mornings but that day I have to go to the hospital for medical certificate. Never wanted to go on Sunday as it is the only day on which you can have a nice sleep free from all worries of  getting up early, doing homework, then running to school with sandwich in your hand, but was left with no other choice. My sweet dad somehow convinced me that its fine, we will start at 9 here, then will reach there by 9:20, and then all formalities will take just 45 minutes at the maximum and then we will have nice food, your favourite icecream and then go for shopping if you will say or any movie. He really knows how to make the things , which you dont like interesting.Love him for that.
So basically my whole night went in thinking what all to eat and what all to shop. Then finally my mom managed to wake me up(which once upon a time was a very tough job, as I used to be the very sound sleeper).
Finally we reached hospital. As I entered the gate: ambulances, doctors, nurses, ambulances, visitors , ambulance attendants,people running here and there, some smiling faces, some sad, while some expressionless faces senseless of all things going around them, thats all I could see. Then chaos increased as an ambulance came. Its doors whooshed open, two beds lined the hall each carrying the bleeding victim. One was totally unconscious while other was moaning with pain. All I could hear from the the attendants was some car accident, which they were discusssing among them.
As we steeped inside, my father met one of his friends who was the doctor there. We went inside his cabin, and they started talking about their medical stuff which was completely french to me. So I came out just to roam around.
The corridor was smelling like an antiseptic. All you can see around  are the bandages, coughing and sneezing people, crying babies,cleaning staff spraying down the surfaces, blood through the surgical gloves,squeaky wheelchairs, needles, blood bottles. Today I realised the suffering, the pain of the people. A mother crying for her child, a husband with a kid in his hand, who is asking his father , 'daddy what happend to mummy' and father telling with wet eyes, 'nothing son,its just a matter of some time, eveything will be fine soon', a wife crying for her husband. I t seemed as if the world came to a standstill.

As I was walking along the corridor, I came around a ward. I saw one person lying on the metal bed rails covered with wrinkled sheet and soft pillows. The nurse was telling him something and he was smiling.  After such a long time I came accross a smiling face. I thought thank God  a small accident. And then I started walking away. But suddenly I saw two nurses entering into his ward and they were kind of sad as well as serious. They went to him and I was so shocked of what I looked at. The nurses made him sit upright and and gave him some tablets to eat. It was then I realised that his torso and legs are insensible to any human touch. His name was Mr. R.J . He was suffering from tetraplegia. He has been here for the past 4 months.He was not very old also, he looked just 35-40. Then I came to know that because of one accident by a drunk driver, his spinal cord got injured which has resulted into the complete loss of the use of his limbs and torso. Now when observed him closely, I can see his the stitches in his face, a drink staw to his lips, dry cracked lips and that pain and the suffering which he has hidden within his heart so as to make his family feel that he is perfectly fine. He was really an optimist, still has the ray of  hope that one day everything will be alright. He is lucky that he is still alive and have his sweet family around him(which many people in this world dont have). Though I could see the pain in his eyes, but there was also that great feeling which you feel with your loved ones around you. After talking to him for sometime, I came out with only one prayer in my heart, that he become fine soon as I am a strong beleiver that miracles do happen.
Then after all checkups and all, I got my medical certificate. As I stepped out of hospital, I realised how lucky I was. Everyday homework, tests, exams which I used to think as a burden  is nothing, nothing at all as compared to the pain, the suffering which so many people are surrounded with. I am really very lucky and thankful to my God who has always saved me from all injuries, all accidents and has always taken me in his arms whenever I needed him and for giving me the worlds best parents and brother who are always with me to support me in all my efforts. :) :)

7 comments:

  1. Pragz:Am rely at loss of words to express my feeling at this point....Great work yar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice praggguuu :) ..... keep up :) ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. impressible.. great observation and sensible conclusions.. Its always worthwhile to think about how other people exists and how privileged we are to value our life.. It is always good to retain a smile on the face whenever suitable and treasure each others existence.. It is hope that usually inspires more than the facts..

    ReplyDelete